Family History

FAMILY HISTORY RESEARCH

There are considerable resources to help in family history research.

All the Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers survive for the four former churches of the Parish- Holy Trinity (opened 1714, demolished 1949), Christ Church (opened 1845, closed 1977), St. James' (opened 1753, now the Parish Church), and St. Nicholas' (opened 1694, destroyed by fire 1971, now partly rebuilt as a Chapel of Ease, but all register entries are within the St. James' books).

All except the current registers are kept at Whitehaven Archive Centre (for more details of location and the opening times see our links page).

Over the years there have been around 75,000 baptisms, 20,000 weddings and 46,000* burials between the four churches. This makes the search often time consuming and difficult. To this end there are indexes to the registers , which are available at the Record Office where they may be freely consulted (these copies continue to the early 21st century).

For burials from 1731 to 2014 there is an excellent website, which is available on this link http://bega.org.uk/gateway/graveyard/public/burials/burials_public_index.php

Baptism Indexes 1838-1999 & Wedding Indexes 1837-1995 are available on the Cumbria Archive Service website-see below

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/Online_catalogues/genindexes/indexes.asp

We also have, available very detailed Rolls of Honour for those on Town War Memorials of all denominations. This INCLUDES those who were missed off War Memorials for variouis reasons, but were casualties from the town.

At St James' it is on the windowsill of the Chapel, at St Nicholas' it is available on request in the Parish Office.